Handheld vacuums save the day every time your car’s a mess with Cheetos lying around or when your kitchen is covered in flour and pepper from the last time you tried the French toast recipe. It’s bound to happen and cleaning sucks. Thanks to the new handheld vacuums but knowing how to use them is another important thing. So, we’ve listed some easy-to-follow steps and methods to help you guys get along with your new cleaning buddy.
You might also have been wondering about how to get started with it so, we’ve taken care of that too. Oh, wait.. Did you buy one yet? Well, if not, then check out our best handheld vacuum review.
Dos and Don’ts
- You can use handheld vacuums for light cleaning purposes and it’s better if you use these at home.
- One of the most important things you should keep in mind is the purpose your vacuum is made for. If it supports both dry and wet cleaning, then you’re at an advantage but make sure you don’t use your “dry” vacuum for cleaning spills and liquids.
- You cannot use your precious vac to clean any sharp objects like glass shards unless you want to damage its internal organs.
- If you have small kids or any pets, then make sure you don’t leave your vacuum unattended around them. These little explorers get really interested in stuff like that.
- It’s highly recommended that you don’t use this appliance if you lack experience and don’t know much about the working. But that’s something you must not worry about because after reading this article, your vacuum cleaning skills are going to get a lot better.
Before Using the Vacuum
- Your hand vacuum should be unplugged before you take off with the cleaning. We’re all enthusiastic for the first few times, trust me but you will eventually get to know how it gets. So, don’t start just yet before making sure everything is set.
- Your vacuum must be charged for at least 16 hours before the first use. Well, for the first time, you might find it a little difficult to work with it but who has ever got it right in the first try.
- Check for any damage or broken parts because without that you are not going further any soon. However, if you find any defect or malfunctioning switches, then you must check with your supplier or company support to get the repairs done.
- Also, you should never try to dismantle your vacuum cleaner or replace any parts yourself. It is just a safety warning that should not be neglected.
Important Parts, Vacuuming and Switching on/off
- Basically, there is a crevice tool and a brush tool in a handheld vacuum but it may vary from brand to brand. We’re discussing the basic functioning which might differ or remain same for yours as well.
- You can fit the crevice tool for cleaning in closed spaces and as for the brush tool, you can use it for furniture and stairs.
- So, your switch is generally located on the head of the vacuum. In case of Black&Decker Dustbuster, it’s located on the very front and to switch the appliance on, you simply need to press it to the front and to switch it off, just press it to the back.
- If you want to use your vacuum as a handheld one, then just charge it and use it around the house or the car for cleaning purposes but if you want to use it to clean the floor or the carpet, then you can attach some of its parts to use it as a stick vacuum.
- The vacuums these days are advanced and designed for multiple uses and if you own one of those like the Dyson V6 Animal or the Black&Decker I mentioned earlier, then you can easily make the best of them.
- After using your hand vacuum, just switch it off and if required, then charge it. This is the perk of having a handheld vacuum, you can charge it when not in use and after that, you can go around using it for any urgent mess or spill.
- Sometimes, when your vacuum has been used a lot, its motor thermal safeguard switches it off automatically in case of overheating. And if this occurs, then it’s time to clean the filters. We’ve also done a post on cleaning, you can read it <here>.
- The most important part is that you maintain your vacuum cleaner and follow the instructions for it to last and give the best results. That is pretty much all which is required for the usage and I’m sure you’re thoroughly informed before starting out with your new hand vacuum.