Vacuum Cleaning is an essential household chore and as easy as it is to use a handheld vacuum, cleaning and maintaining it takes dedication and energy. We often clean stuff that’s been dusty on the outside but vacuum cleaners are meant to be cleaned from the inside. Do you ever wonder that vacuums suck up all the dirt and debris and how dirty the filters and the dust bag might get after a few rounds of cleaning? Well, now is the right time to give it a thought and get ready for the cleaning process. Below are a few methods and hacks that will help you while cleaning your vacuum.
Cleaning the Exterior
First up, let’s do the obvious exterior cleaning. Cleaning on the outside is all very easy and can be done every other day or whenever you feel like it needs cleaning.
- You should clean the surface with a wet cloth and soap.
- It would be better if the water is little warm because it helps clean the stains easily.
- It’s also important you make sure that the machine is completely dry before using.
- Before cleaning always check that your vacuum cleaner is switched off from the main power supply socket.
Cleaning the Dust Bowl
All the nasty dirt and dust particles get accumulated in the dust bowl or the container which needs to be emptied after every use. It is perfect if you empty the dust bowl after vacuuming. We came across this study recently that explained how vacuum emissions affect our surrounding and indoor spaces.
- On the side of your vacuum, there’s a dust container. You should open the latch of the container door.
- You might find some dust inside. In order to empty it, tilt the container sideways and let the dust out.
- Tap from the opposite side so that the debris stuck inside also find its way out. And there you did it. First round, clear!
Cleaning the Filters
This is the part where the actual cleaning i.e. the deep cleaning begins. Regularly cleaning the filters prevents clogging. You might have heard that annoying noise while vacuuming and sometimes the machine keeps stopping. This could be because the filters haven’t been cleaned for a while. Follow the steps below to clean the filters.
- In the Black and Decker Lithium Flex model, there are two kinds of filters. One is the plastic pre-filter and the other is the pleated filter. Both of these are can be reused and cleaned regularly. (Hey! you can also read our review of the best handheld vacuum)
- You should know that these are one of the essential parts of a handheld vacuum and thus require to be handled carefully. These filters in the vacuums are better than the conventional vacuums because of their lower concentration of airborne diseases. You can read more about this study here.
- You must dismantle the hose from the handle first carefully. The hose, as you can spot easily, is the extended pipe thing which is mainly used for cleaning.
- Next up, undo the handle from the main appliance and open the dust bowl door to empty the waste content out.
- There is also a release button on the opposite side of the handle from the door which you should press and hold, and finally, rotate the handle toward the back of the vacuum.
- The dust container will be out and you will see the filters inside. That was pretty easy.
- You will notice that the pleated filter is caged in the plastic filter. You can take it out and clean or brush the filter thoroughly.
- The filters are washable and should be washed every week.
- If you want to wash them, then use warm water and soap and rinse the filter until it’s shining like new.
- Before you put it all back together, just make very sure that the filters are properly dried up and there’s no moisture inside the machine or the dust door.
- There you go! This process is the most important when you’re cleaning your vacuum.
Cleaning the Dust Container
After the filters are done, you can also clean the dust container. If you have dismantled the exterior of your machine already, then it’s better to clean everything.
- You already have taken out the filter, twisting it to the right and pulling it out.
- You can wipe the dust container with a damp cloth (if you’re too lazy).
- You can also wash the container with warm soapy water and rinse it off.
- Don’t ever forget to dry all the washed parts of your vacuum unless you want any malfunctions or electric shocks.
- This was about it for the cleaning. You can put all the parts back where they belong and work with your hand vacuum without any glitches.