Shaving is a disciplinary routine for some and if you enjoy taking out a little time for your grooming too, then brace yourselves. Just like the old times, once again straight razors have made a comeback and that too in style. Well, yeah! It’s time to upgrade that shaving kit of yours and we’re here to help. Our latest review of the best straight razors below has everything stacked up from the pros and cons of each model to the buyer’s guide.
Dovo Straight Razor with ebony wood handle is regarded as the best straight razor in terms of quality. Its carbon steel body and the wooden handle makes it a bestseller. It is also etched with “Prima Silver Steel” in the blade and has an outstanding design which gives it an edge over others. If you’re willing to invest in a quality product, then you should totally go for this work of art.
Parker SR1 Stainless Steel Straight Razor is guaranteed to top your list if you are looking for an inexpensive, low-budget product. This particular razor is known for its sturdy build and unique clip-to-close function. Its lock blade holder helps secure the blade in place eliminating any chances of nicks and cuts.
Best Straight Razors by Type
- Best Professional Straight Razor
- Best Home Use Straight Razor
- Best Budget-Friendly Straight Razor
- Best Stainless Steel Straight Razor
Best Straight Razor Reviews 2018
⇢ Top 7 Best Straight Razor Reviews
#1 Recommendation: Dovo Straight Razor Carbon, Ebony Wood Handle
When we talk about Dovo, we refer to a century-old German company whose quality straight razors speak of its hard-earned reputation. This classic straight razor from the Dovo family is best known for its ebony wood handle and carbon steel body. The razor is 5/8 inch with a 3-inch blade which is built to last. Its blade also a has a full hollow grind which is the ideal grind for a razor blade. There’s not much work required as Dovo ships its razors shave-ready. Etched with Prima Silver Steel in the blade, it has a 24k gold design. With a rounded tip at the end of the blade, it ensures a smooth and flexible shave. The handle is made of ebony and gives a strong grip while shaving.
- Strong and durable built
- Ebony wood handle
- The razor comes pre-honed and shave ready
- Fine edge
- Some of the razors aren’t shave ready
- The wood handle is not of the best quality as claimed
This is the best straight razor on our list and is one of the finest creations of Dovo which is ideal for personal use and even professionally at salons. If you like clean close shaves and are a newbie with cutthroats, then this razor promises to serve you to the best of its abilities.
Feather, the renowned Japanese corporation has also not left any stones unturned to amaze us with its advanced sharpening technology and top class razors. Pioneering the replaceable blade-type razor manufacturing, Feather is committed to providing products with new value. This Feather SS Japanese straight razor is voted one of the best for its rounded tip blade which limits the blade exposure on the skin. In addition, its handle is built out of silicone resin which is heat resistant up to 135 degrees. The razor head is a spring mounted system which can be disassembled and rearranged easily.
- The one-touch mechanism guarantees a smooth feeling after every shave.
- Easy to use with replaceable blades
- The stainless-steel body is built to withstand heat, chemicals, and impurities
- Can be cleaned easily with its spring mounted mechanism
- Comfortable to hold with the grip handle
- Requires a proper learning curve because of the extremely sharp edge
This Feather Japanese style straight razor is designed to give you a close and comfortable shave. Its new one-touch technology is one of its kind and proves to be a tough competition among its contemporaries. If you’re looking for a smooth and convenient shaving experience and a long term investment, then this should be your go-to razor.
Along with the Japanese style, Feather also manufactures the folding style razors. Designed to give a clean and healthy shave, the blade comes sharp out of the box. The perfect balance of rounded tip and moderate blade exposure is the key to smoothness with Feather. The razor is disinfectant safe and autoclavable which allows you to thoroughly clean it. The folding handle which is made from specially engineered resin makes this razor different from the previous one. The handle is heat resistant and also provides superb grip and control.
- Folding handle makes the razor easier to use
- Autoclavable and disinfectant safe
- Top-grade quality enamel handle
- The shape and weight are well balanced
- Expensive quality-wise
This folding style Feather razor is one of the most sought-after because of its thorough and relaxed shaving experience. Regarded as one of the best straight razors, it guarantees closest shaves possible and if you are looking for a mid-range shaver with the best quality, then we highly recommend this particular razor.
This straight razor is another of Dovo’s bestseller and as the name suggests, it is made of mild steel with a carbon content of 1%. This stainless steel quality helps the blade achieve maximum possible hardness, elasticity, and resistance. This also makes it a low-maintenance razor. However, with proper care and maintenance, rusting can be excluded. Nevertheless, rusting also depends on the water quality. Dovo doesn’t guarantee any complaints on rusting.
- Stainless steel
- Wear resistance
- Low maintenance
- Plastic handle is not of the best quality
- Blade is not shave-ready out of the box
This Dovo straight razor is on our top list because of its amazing build quality and full hollow blade. If you’re willing to spend a few more bucks and are in for a thorough wet shave, then this razor will totally suit your needs.
One of the prominent shaving gear brands, Parker has been producing quality straight razors since 40 years and has proved to be one of customers’ favorite. The SR1 razor is designed beautifully and has a sturdy build. Made entirely out of stainless steel, it has a unique clip to close mechanism keeping the razor aligned to give a better angle while shaving. The razor is also rounded at the end which reduces any chances of nicks and cuts. It also comes with a lock blade holder to ensure secure blade insertion. You can use both single-edge and half double-edge blades with this razor.
- Doesn’t require stropping
- “clip to close” gives proper alignment to shave
- The handle is stainless steel
- Easy to use for amateurs
- Prone to rust
- Looks flimsy
This low-end parker razor is best for professional as well as home use. If you’re wondering to start out at wet shaving, then this razor will give you the best value for your money.
Made in Germany, Boker has been proudly manufacturing premium quality straight razors for over a century. King Cutter from this family is a classic straight razor which is ideal for regular shaving and amateurs. It has a 5/8” carbon steel blade which is made of a special alloy, containing silver. With an extra hollow grind and a rounded tip, this piece is crafted by hand. The handle is black synthetic which is moisture resistant. The razor comes pre-honed and requires regular maintenance.
- Blade has flexible scales
- Wear resistant
- Light and well balanced
- Full hollow feature makes the edge sharper
- Needs regular stropping
- Handle is plastic and flimsy
This premium razor is best for wet shaving enthusiasts and comes pre-honed. It is also preferred mostly by inexperienced men because of its easy-to-use quality. All in all, this traditional shaving tool is considered a masterpiece providing standard quality.
Equinox International is another bestseller under straight razors which claims to be a timeless masterpiece. Its premium quality is owed to its stainless steel body. It has an easy-to-open blade guard which helps effortlessly replace the blades. It also comes equipped with 100 Derby single-edged blades which makes it a pretty impressive bargain. Equinox guarantees smooth shaves and 30 days risk-free trial. Its handle and body are stainless steel and durable.
- Easy to handle
- Premium quality stainless steel
- Durable blades
- Can rust easily if not taken care of properly
- The blade doesn’t fit tightly in the razor
This razor’s best feature is its built and durability. It works best for professionals and even beard enthusiasts. With a price tag and quality like that, it has gained a lot of positive response from customers.
Buyer’s Guide for Straight Razors
Finding the best straight razor can be a little work but fret not folks! Our handy buyer’s guide will serve your queries and keep you informed while looking for that ideal razor. Here are some key points that you must pay attention to while choosing:
- Build Quality: The first and foremost thing that should be taken into account is the material that has been used to build the razor. It should be stainless steel or carbon steel because they leave the least chances of rusting keeping the blade durable. However, carbon steel is recommended for beginners because it is easier to sharpen but doesn’t hold the edge long. You can refer to our how-to-use post to learn a few tricks about wet shaving.
- Handle: The blade handle must be made of wood. Wooden handles are better off than the plastic ones. The low-quality plastic handles tend to be flimsy and do not provide that well-balanced grip while shaving. Some handles also come in stainless steel which also works perfectly fine unless it’s low-grade quality.
- Blade Width: Another important factor is the size of the blade. The standard straight razors are 5/8 inches. This is the ideal size as it provides firmness and flexibility while shaving. Most professional barbers prefer this width and height in order to master the art of wet shaving.
- Hollow: The blades come in two grinds that are a full hollow grind and a half hollow grind. The former is recommended as it is more flexible than the latter one. The full hollow is frequently used by more experienced men because it sharpens easily and can cause cuts if not dealt with properly.
- Budget: If you want the closest shaves possible, then you must go for premium quality razors with higher end. While budget friendly razors also provide top-notch quality, and save you a few bucks too.
Maintaining Your Straight Razor
Maintaining this elegant shaving implement could be a struggle but once you get a hang of it, its perks fetch you the best shaves. We have some pro tips that will keep your straight razor going for long and save your precious time too. (If you want to know about the comparison of straight razor and safety razor, then you can read our post here to get a clear idea).
Blade: Keeping the blade intact for a longer duration is the key to maintenance. Once you master this art, your further routine is sorted. The blade isn’t that big of a deal, it will last a long time unless you drop it or hit the edge real hard.
- However, the blade must be stored in a dark and dry place around the room temperature.
- You must always preserve your razors in a leather case. You can also carry them while traveling.
- You must never keep the razor in bathroom cabinets or around moist places. This increases the chances of rusting and causes the blade to become unhygienic.
- Air circulation is important for storing your straight razors, lack of which may cause damage to it. Humidity is your razor’s enemy.
- Using metal polish is highly undesirable because these leave residues on the blade that gets to your face and is considered unhealthy.
- You can get more information about straight razor blade replacement in another article.
Cleaning: After every shave, you must clean your straight razor. Doing this is easy.
- You can clean the blade by applying alcohol after using it. This prevents the blade from rusting and keeps it hygienic.
- You can also rub some mineral oil on the blade after cleaning it.
Handle: The handle of the blade also plays a part, however little it may be. It must also be cleaned now and again.
- If you buy a razor with a wooden handle, then refrain from using soaps and water. You can always use a little oil to lubricate the wood.
- While using the razor, wipe it down so that it doesn’t feel slippery.
Honing: Honing the straight razor is a mandatory task and must be carried out with caution.Even the best straight razors require sharpening and stropping every once in a while.