Vacuums are household saviours and let’s admit it, without these handy appliances, our houses become a mess. Cleaning is tiring but handheld vacuums clean those unexpected awful messes within seconds saving us the trouble of carrying the canisters and uprights all the way. If you’re tired of the drill too, we understand and that’s why we have the top ten handheld vacuum recommendations. Our review comprises of everything you need to know about the best handheld vacuum for your daily needs.
BLACK+DECKER BDH2020FLFH MAX Lithium Flex Vacuum is considered to be the best handheld vacuum in terms of quality. With its powerful suction an d a 20V lithium-ion battery, this handheld vacuum is the most flexible. It comes along with a high-performance motor and a three-stage filtration which makes it the best buy. If you’re looking for a quality product which can fulfill all your cleaning needs, then this unit would be perfect for you.
If you’re looking for a budget buy, Bissell Pet Hair Eraser Cordless Hand Vacuum must be your choice. This handheld vacuum cleans pet hair in a go and is known to have an excellent suction. It comes with an upholstery tool and dual filtration system making it an efficient unit.
Best Handheld Vacuums By Type
- Best Household Handheld Vacuum
- Best Heavy-Use Handheld Vacuum
- Best Portable Vacuum Cleaner
- Best Pet Hair Vacuum Cleaner
Best Handheld Vacuum Reviews 2018
⇢ Top 10 HandHeld Vacuums 2018
#1 Recommendation: Black & Decker BDH2020FLFH MAX Lithium Flex Vacuum
One of the oldest companies in the USA, Black and Decker has been providing quality tools and products for over a century. It pioneered the manufacture of lithium-ion vacuums and cleaning has been less awful since then.
- The lithium technology ensures strong suction and excellent power.
- This Black+Decker model is portable and hassle-free as there are no cords attached. You can easily take up small cleaning chores without having to drag a huge vacuum all the way.
- Its amazing suction power is owed to the 20V battery it uses. It’s a powerful unit altogether.
- The high-performance motor also keeps the suction consistent whether it’s concrete floors or just carpets that need a thorough cleaning.
- With some great accessories at hand, this Lithium Flex vacuum has earned quite some popularity and a “flexible” tag too.
- The long hose is extremely helpful if you need to clean unreachable places and corners or even higher shelves.
- The stick vac floor head is also another feature which can be attached to clean larger places.
- You can also attach a pet hair brush which has proved quite successful in removing unwanted pet hair.
- It has a quick charging base which ensures that the vacuum doesn’t run out of battery all of a sudden.
- Its three-stage filtration makes this vacuum one of the best because it prevents all the dust from escaping and giving out a cleaner air.
- Powerful suction
- Equipped with a 4-foot flexible hose, pet hair brush, a stick vac floor head, crevice tool and a two-in-one nozzle.
- Cordless and portable
- Three-tier filtration
- Lithium-ion technology
- Easy to clean
- Doesn’t come with HEPA filter
- Minor hitches in attaching accessories
This is our favorite vacuum cleaner and is one of the best handheld vacuums on our list. So, if you’re tired of carrying around your vacuums for urgent messes, then this Black+Decker Flex Vacuum might make your life a little easier.
2nd Pick: Dyson V8 Animal Cord Free Vacuum
Known as the most innovative and ever-growing vacuum companies of all, Dyson has been manufacturing since the 1980s and the man behind it invented the world’s first bagless vacuum cleaner. The English vacuum manufacturing corporation designs A grade vacuum cleaners and its Animal series have gained popularity for its quality features worldwide.
- The Animal V8 works on a lithium-ion battery and ensures a fade-free powerful suction for 40 minutes straight.
- It has a trigger grip which means that you don’t need your vacuum to be switched on at all times. You can release the trigger and vacuuming stops. This prevents the wastage of its run-time.
- The cleaner head has a brush made of stiff nylon bristles which ensure that the carpet is thoroughly cleaned and even the finest dust particles are removed. Dyson also claims that this unit has 150 times more powerful brush bar than the previous V6 model.
- The whole unit has an HEPA filtration installed which is very much recommended if you’re allergic to dust or suffer from asthma. The HEPA filtration frees the air of allergens and bacteria that might cause harm to your lungs.
- The whole model runs on the Dyson V8 digital motor which makes it a powerful unit.
- Like corded vacuums, Dyson models also use the cyclone technology. With a two-tier radial system, the vacuum easily captures fine dust and ensures flexible airflow.
- Versatility is one of its best features as this V8 model can transform into a stick vacuum or a handheld one in a snap.
- You can use the stick vacuum to clean the ceiling or floors conveniently and the cord free hand vacuum can be used to clean the cars or stairs.
- Lithium-ion battery
- HEPA filtration
- Two-tier Radial system
- Strong suction
- MAX power works inefficiently sometimes
With all the amazing features, the V8 Animal has also astonished us and proved to be one of the best handheld vacuums so far. If you like to clean with convenience and are willing to spend some money, then this one’s for you.
Another of Black+Decker’s finest model, this handheld vacuum is known as the Dustbuster with an amazing suction and numerous features.
- This is a cordless Black+Decker model which is lightweight and portable.
- It holds the charge up to 18 months with its 16V battery which means you can use it anytime you like.
- The filter uses cyclonic action to keep it neat and powerful.
- The unit also has a dirt bowl which is bagless and see-through. You can easily empty the bowl and see into it.
- The vacuum can be dismantled easily. You can remove the dirt bowl and filters to clean them.
- It has an extended onboard which makes it convenient to clean lower surfaces. You don’t need to bend a lot to clean urgent floor spills.
- This Dustbuster model has a longer lifespan because of the lithium-ion battery.
- With the smart charge technology, the vacuum makes sure to use 50% lesser battery.
- The nozzle in the vacuum is narrow and can also rotate to perform various cleaning actions.
- Cordless and easy to carry
- Lithium-ion 16V battery
- Easy to wash
- Rotating nozzle
- Battery indicator is glitchy
The Dustbuster is ideal for quick clean-ups and urgent messes. With a battery like that, it has gained a lot of positive feedback and remains top third recommendation on our list.
This century-old American company is renowned for its standard cleaning products and especially pet hair removal. It has features that some of the best handheld vacuums possess.
- As the name suggests, this Bissell model is a lightweight and cordless hand vacuum which provides ease of handling and use.
- This is yet another hand vacuum that has a lithium-ion battery for cordless use and powerful suction.
- The vacuum unit has a two-stage filtration process to provide cleaner and healthier operation.
- There are quite a few multiple attachments that come along with this unit like the dusting brush which has softer bristles to clean better.
- Also, the Built-in Extension Hose does the trick if you want to clean around remote spots in the house that might seem unreachable.
- Then comes the crevice tool which is equally important and helps to clean around packed spaces where the traditional vacuum might not reach.
- To clean the carpet or the sofa thoroughly, the high-powered brush roll comes in handy. This tool is Motorized and makes deep clean look like a cakewalk.
- This unit is also fixed with two LED lights to spot dirty areas and dusty spaces for an all-round cleaning.
- You can easily remove the battery and charge it conveniently without carrying the vacuum itself.
- Dirt bin can also be easily removed to dispose of the debris and dust effortlessly.
- Two-stage filtration
- 22V lithium-ion battery
- Multiple attachments
- Motorized brush roll
- Detachable dirt bin and battery
- Weak suction
- Crevice tool is too small
If you’re looking for specific cleanings like the carpet, stairs or the upholstery, then this Bissell vacuum will definitely get the job done. Its two-stage filtration and battery power have made it stand out among various other competitors.
Welikara’s pet hair vacuum has passed the CE FC and UL Certification and with a set of impressive features, it has made it to our best handheld vacuum list.
- This Welikara model’s most salient feature is its cyclonic suction. The unit is a powerful one because of its suction and ability to pick up dirt and pet hair.
- It is cordless and can be charged whenever required. With a 12V battery, it is clearly not meant for heavy usage.
- It has the Smart Charge Technology which saves a lot of energy. It takes about 3-4 hours to fully charge the vacuum which lasts for about 25 minutes and above.
- It also comes with a battery indicator which flashes whenever the vacuum is left with little power.
- Another of its best feature is the HEPA filter which is stainless steel and makes it 20 times more powerful than the normal HEPA filter.
- This handheld dustbuster has LED lights that direct the cleaning during the night or the dark.
- With its small size, it can be easily stored and handled.
- You can remove and wash the filters and dirt bowls for a hygienic cleaning experience.
- HEPA filter
- LED light
- Compact size
- Battery life is too short
- Filter clogging issues
This particular model by Welikara is ideal for multipurpose cleaning and if you own a workshop or have a family, then you can easily clean the messes at a budget price.
This Dyson model is considered to have the best suction power among others. The famous company Dyson ensures that its products are well engineered and work efficiently.
- The Car+Boat model is best known for its suction power which is 100AW for the MAX feature.
- There are no cords required to use the vacuums. It works cord-free and is best for quick clean-ups.
- This Dyson unit can also endure heavy usage because of its extremely good suction power.
- It is supported by the Dyson V7 digit motor which makes it among the most powerful handheld vacuum cleaners.
- You can use this machine for 30 minutes straight after charging it for 3.5 hours which is pretty good because you can either use this in cars or on stairs.
- The hygienic dirt ejector lets you dispose of the dust and dirt without even touching it. This is a healthier approach since you don’t actually need to touch the debris.
- It also features a mini motorized tool which proves very useful while removing the pet hair and deep dirt.
- You also have the luxury to carry your vacuum while on the go as it can easily be connected to a standard 12V power socket available in your cars.
- Another healthy objective is to reduce excessive noise that vacuums create. This hand vacuum is specially engineered to improve noise emission and sound quality.
- The vacuum comes with a 2-year warranty that covers free replacement parts and repair service.
- Strong Suction
- Noise reduction
- Easy-to-carry on the go
- Hygienic dirt ejector
- Cordless and quick clean-ups
- Only works with MAX suction
This Dyson vacuum is designed for heavy usage and is one of its kind. Being one of the best handheld vacuum models of Dyson, this comes off as a high-end product.
Although corded vacuums have been loathed for their tangled power cords and portability, this Shark Rocket hand vacuum begs to differ. Its top-notch features and ease of use crown it as the best in terms of suction.
- This Shark vacuum cleaner model has an ultra-light weight which is less than 4 pounds and is very handy for cleaning.
- With suction power of 400 watts, this handheld vacuum is regarded as a unit which “never loses suction”.
- This too comes with a lot of accessories like the TruePet Motorized brush tool and crevice tool.
- The Motorized brush tool is ideal for deep cleaning, pet hair and dust.
- The power cord is 15-foot long and can reach farther places at home.
- It is very easy to empty the dust bag that’s attached to the vacuum.
- The filters in the vacuum can be washed and reused thus saving maintenance costs.
- The unit also tags along a 12-inch crevice tool which helps clean the tight spaces at homes.
- A stretch hose is another part which can be extended to provide better and thorough cleaning.
- Ultra-light weight
- Continuous suction
- Useful accessories
- 15-foot power cord
- Corded unit
- A little noisy
If you’re willing to invest in a corded vacuum, then this Shark model should be your preference. We recommend this because it has proved great for stairs and car cleaning.
Another of Bissell’s model which cleans pet hair thoroughly. Being cordless, this unit has shown some great results and has been a favorite of pet owners for a long time.
- This is another of Bissell’s bestsellers and is a cordless unit only.
- It is ideal for pet hair removal and is widely used and recommended by pet owners around the world.
- It has a Motorized foot which ensures strong suction for thorough cleaning.
- With the crevice tool, cleaning those unreachable areas becomes all the very possible.
- This crevice tool also has an LED light fixed into it so that it becomes easier to clean in dark corners.
- The upholstery tool is used to clean softer surfaces like sofas and felt. As more pet hair from the furniture is sucked into the vacuum, the easier it gets to dispose of it.
- The vacuum unit comes with a dual filtration system which helps in trapping more debris and filter it thoroughly.
- Versatile Cleaning
- Removes pet hair effortlessly
- Dual Filtration system
- Handy and cordless
- Weaker battery
- Weaker suction
We highly recommend this Bissell model for pet owners and it works quite neatly on carpets and stairs. If you’re in need of a vacuum that can do it all, then you should totally try this out.
The Dirt Devil is one of the first vacuum cleaner companies based in Ohio. Renowned for its pet hair vacuums, it has earned quite a lot of positive feedback from customers. This unit is so far, the best handheld vacuum it has manufactured for home-use.
- This Dirt Devil hand Vacuum is powered by a 16V lithium-ion battery which lasts long and promises continuous suction.
- Its handle can be folded in four different positions for convenient use around different places.
- It is light in weight and compact. Designed for handheld use, this vacuum cleaner is cord-free. You can easily carry it to finish off your chores.
- You can reuse the filter and wash it time and again.
- Disposing of the dirt is also easier because it just takes a touch of a button to empty the dirt cup in the vacuum.
- The flipout unit is equipped with a crevice tool, an above-floor dusting tool and, soft dusting brush.
- Easy to store
- Lithium battery
- Versatile handle
- Rinsable filter
- Doesn’t hold charge for long
This is a highly portable unit which has quite a lot of features. We recommend this if you’re on the road most of the time and are looking for a cleaning appliance. It can clean pet hair and debris.
Eureka has an experience of over 100 years in the household cleaning products. It has manufactured some really efficient vacuum models till now and this one is one of them.
- This EasyClean handheld vacuum is extremely lightweight and can be carried around for cleaning anywhere in the house.
- Eureka ensures a strong suction power which is 5.5 amps.
- It is a corded vacuum with a 20-foot long power cord which can reach different places.
- The Riser Visor system is exclusive to the Eureka family and it helps clean vertically on stairs and even upholstery.
- The vacuum can be used either on hard floors or soft carpeted areas in the house.
- This can be ideally used for cleaning above floors like the countertop where there is a lot of mess.
- The unit features a revolving brush tool which is powered by motor 1 and helps clean densely and efficiently.
- Riser Visor system
- Can be used on multiple floors
- Corded vacuum type
- Hose is too short
A budget friendly unit, this vacuum has versatile features and is suggested for lighter cleaning purposes like the stairs and the countertop.
Buyer’s Guide for Selecting Your Handheld Vacuum
When you look for the best handheld vacuum for your homes or cars, there are a few pointers that guide your choice. You don’t have to be puzzled anymore because we have put together a buyer’s guide that will solve your queries and help you make the right choice.
- Suction Power: One of most important detail that helps you select your vacuum is the suction power. Higher the suction, better the cleaning. You should make sure that your vacuum has powerful suction.
- Corded/Cordless: This is another factor that should also affect your choice. You can find more details about cordless and corded handheld vacuums <here>. Moreover, it’s important that your vacuum is cordless because it saves you time and all the unnecessary hassle. If you still buy a corded one, then make sure that its cord is long enough to cover your house.
- Weight: Let’s face it, we buy handheld vacuums just to get rid of the unnecessary weight our conventional vacuums come with. Your vacuum should be light in weight so that you can effortlessly carry it around the house for quick cleaning chores.
- Filtration: So, filters matter a lot when you’re looking for a vacuum. If your vacuum has the 2-tier filtration or the dual filter system, then you’ve made the right choice. As for the HEPA filtration, you should look for a hand vacuum that has one. The filter in your vacuum must be washable so that you can reuse it without having to change it every time you vacuum.
- Parts and Attachments: If your vacuum isn’t versatile, is it even worth the buy? It must come with attachments like the extension hose or the pet hair Motorized brush. These parts make a huge difference while cleaning. To understand more about these parts, check out our another <post>.
- Voltage rating: Voltage matters as much as suction does in a hand vacuum, so look for a unit that provides the voltage higher than 15V. This way your vacuum has an advantage in terms of power.
Essential Know-How Before Buying and Using
Before using your new handheld vacuum, here are a few tips, dos and don’ts that must be kept in mind. We’ve made a list that should be able to help you before buying and using your cleaning buddy.
- Length of your task: How long do you take to clean up your house or is it just the stairs or your car you’re willing to clean? Your tasks may vary. If you want to clean the entire house with a handheld vacuum, then it might not work that way. Handheld vacuums are for light cleaning purposes and probably last up to 30 minutes after they’re fully charged. But they’re also the most compact and portable appliances you can have. You can <read more> about the advantages of handheld vacuums.
- Pet Owners: Your buying and cleaning options get very specific if you own dogs or other hairy pets. While buying, you must always look for a handheld vacuum that is designed specifically for pet hair. Because dogs shed a lot of hair that stubbornly get stuck to the carpet or the rug, cleaning that also becomes a tough task.
- Cleaning Area: Your vacuum must be chosen according to the place you want to use it in. If you want to use it professionally, then cordless vacuums might not do the trick. Their charging time is higher than their run time and thus it gets fussy when the vacuum isn’t charged fully. Vacuum cleaners have many impacts on the environment and this research tells all about it.
- Vacuum Cleaner Type: There are four types vacuum cleaners and you can use all four of them according to your needs. All of these have their advantages and disadvantages but all of these also have their fortes. This study will definitely help you understand it clearly.
- Storage: Storing a handheld vacuum is easy. With the little space it takes up, it can fit into drawers and cupboards easily. If you have a larger storage area, then bigger vacuums with better suction and unlimited run-time can work just fine.
- Workings: If you’re familiar with the workings of your vacuums, then it gets easier to crack minor hitches that occur now and then. You don’t really need to know the “Quantum Physics” functioning but just the basics might help you in the long run.
- Cleaning the Vacuum: Your vacuum must be cleaned regularly. This prevents clogging of filters and dust bowl. The best handheld vacuums come along with detachable parts making it easier to clean them. You can also refer to our <how-to-clean> post to learn the cleaning procedure.